This Privacy Statement describes how Young Engineers South Africa Franchise Group, ‘we’, ‘us’) collects and processes personal information about you and your child(ren); how we use and protect this information, and your rights in relation to this information, in accordance with the requirements of the Protection of Personal Information Act (POPIA)
This Privacy Statement applies to all personal information we collect about you. Personal information is information, or a combination of pieces of information that could reasonably allow you to be identified.
2. INFORMATION WE COLLECT
We collect your personal information directly from you (e.g. when you contact us and we provide services to you).
Certain personal information is required as a consequence of you requesting more information regarding our services or a contractual relationship, we have with you. Failure to provide this personal information may prevent or delay the fulfilment of these obligations.
a) Information we collect directly from you
The categories of personal information that we may collect directly from you include the following:
- personal details (e.g. name, surname, identity number or passport number);
- contact details (e.g. mobile number, email address, address);
- child details (e.g. name, surname, age, date of birth, gender, school, grade, medical conditions);
Where possible, we will inform you what information you are required to provide us with and what information is voluntary.
3. USE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
We must have a legal basis to process your personal information. We will only process your personal information for the purpose(s) for which it was collected and agreed with you.
In most cases the legal basis will be one of the following:
- to provide services, to you, as set out in the enrolment/booking form of your child;
- to fulfil our contractual obligations to you, for example to ensure that invoices are issued correctly, to communicate with you and to carry out instructions and requests, and for ensuring you are able to access our learning centres when required;
- to comply with our legal obligations to you, for example health and safety obligations while you are on any of our premises or learning centres;
- to meet our legitimate interests so that: we are able to provide the services you request; any complaints or concerns can be promptly relayed to us; we can respond to any questions or concerns you might have; we may carry out research and analysis to ensure products and services we offer are relevant to you; our records are kept up to date and accurate, and; to send relevant and appropriate electronic correspondence to you in order to keep you informed regarding, but not limited to, new service offerings, and to invite you to events which are fundamental to the services which we provide.
We use your personal information to:
- contact you with questions and other information regarding the services we are providing to you;
- ensure that our records are kept accurate and up to date where you, your child(ren) visit our facilities;
- ensure we issue accurate invoices for our services;
- send you messages about products and services which we think will be of interest to you;
- comply with legal obligations to which we are subject;
- comply with obligations in terms of our mandate from you.
- Internal reporting obligations within the company.
4. YOUR RIGHTS
Please let us know if any of the personal information that we hold about you changes so that we can correct and update the personal information on our systems.
a. Right of access to information
You have the right to request, free of charge, confirmation as to whether we hold personal information about you. You also have the right to request a copy of the record of personal information or a description of the personal information we hold about you.
b. Right to request correction or deletion of personal information
You can request, where allowed by law, the correction, updating or deletion of the personal information held by us. You can also request, where allowed by law, the destruction or deletion of a record of information held by us.
c. Right to ask us to share your personal information in a usable format with another entity
We can provide the personal information which you provided to us, to you or another person, in commonly used and machine-readable format.
d. Right to unsubscribe from direct marketing
Where you do not wish to receive marketing communication from Young Engineers South Africa Franchise Group, you can unsubscribe from marketing emails by informing us to remove you from our mailing list.
We will still be able to contact you when there is important communication required to be sent.
e. Right to withdraw consent
Where you have given your consent to a particular type of processing, you may withdraw that consent at any time by contacting us via email.
f. Right to lodge a complaint with the information regulator
You have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Regulator, in the prescribed manner and form, if you believe that we are interfering with the protection of your personal information. You can contact the Information Regulator on 010 023 5207 (telephone number) and can lodge a complaint via email on firstname.lastname@example.org.
5. INFORMATION SHARING
In general, we do not share your personal information with third parties (other than service providers acting on our behalf) unless we have a lawful basis for doing so.
We rely on third-party service providers to perform a variety of services on our behalf, such as website hosting, electronic message delivery, payment processing, data analytics and research. This may mean that we have to share your personal information with these third parties. When we share your personal information in this way, we put in place appropriate measures to make sure that our service providers keep your personal information secure.
Other situations in which we may disclose your personal information to a third party, are:
- to perform other services, we request from service providers, which may include other Young Engineers South Africa Franchises;
- to third parties who provide IT services, data processing or IT functionality services, for example cloud-based software providers, web hosting services, data analysis providers and data storage or backup providers;
- to fulfil our contractual obligations to you;
- where permitted by law, to protect and defend our rights and property; and
- when required by law, and/or public authorities;
We may also share aggregated personal information that cannot identify you for general business analysis and reporting, e.g. we may disclose the number of visitors to our websites or services.
6. INFORMATION SECURITY
We have implemented generally accepted standards of technology and operational security to protect personal information from loss, misuse, alteration or destruction. You may request a copy of our Information Security Policy from us via email.
We require all staff, (Partners and/or Directors and employees) to keep personal information confidential and only authorised staff have access to this personal information.
We will retain your personal information in accordance with our data retention policy which sets out data retention periods required or permitted by applicable law.
7. INFORMATION TRANSFER
Where it is necessary, for the purposes of processing, your personal information may be transferred outside of South Africa in accordance with the appropriate data protection laws.
We anticipate that personal information may need to be transferred outside of South Africa for purposes of cloud storage, and where we do so, we will ensure that the necessary safeguards are in place to protect personal information.
When your personal information is transferred to a country whose data protection laws do not provide an adequate level of protection for your personal information, we use the European Commission’s approved Standard Contractual Clauses in order to ensure that the appropriate mechanisms and safeguards are in place. If you wish to see a copy of the relevant mechanism that we use to transfer your personal information, please contact us using the contact details set out below.
8. CONTACT US
If you have questions or concerns regarding the way in which your personal information has been used, or should you have any questions about this Privacy Statement, please click here to contact us and provide the details relating to your query.
9. CHANGES TO THE PRIVACY STATEMENT
You may request a copy of this Privacy Statement from us via email. We may modify or update this privacy notice from time to time. You will be able to find a copy of the latest version of this document on our website at: www.youngengineers.co.za. Please review this Privacy Statement from time to time to check whether we have made any changes to the way in which we use your personal information.